Saturday, November 14, 2009

Homework #21, Art Project



In the Cell Phone Screen: "Ctrn Baby Ttyl Ilysm<3" in english "Can't Talk Right Now Baby Talk To You Later I Love You So Much". Text Around The Phone: "The Absence Of Warmth In Digital Technology".

I wanted my painting to be a mirror of how people of all ages -but mainly focusing on teenagers- write text messages. I did the screen purposely silver (aluminum foil) as a mirror; so if you are in person and looking at the painting you would see a blurry image of yourself in it. I don't think my painting is a hammer, because hammers pound things to be in another shape. I feel like my artwork is a reflection of people in relationships who actually do write text messages this way. I wasn't going against the people that actually do text like in my painting, but I was trying to point out how there is an absence of warmth in texting.

It's always an interesting process thinking about what to do for an art project. René Magritte's painting "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" ("This is not a pipe") inspired me to do my art project. In case some people may not of seen Magritte's painting, it is a painting of a pipe, and it says under it in french "This is not a pipe". When one looks at the painting, it looks like a pipe. Yet in reality it is a painting of a pipe that is supposed to represent the pipe. Jace thinks that I copied his idea from his paper, yet I had only thought about the paper when I had already finished the painting.


To be continued

Qs: 1. Is your art a hammer or a mirror? Why?
2. Does your art make you fink and theel? What are some of your own reactions to your art?
3. What was the most interesting aspect of your making of the art?

No comments:

Post a Comment