Monday, December 21, 2009

Homework #31, Importance.

January 6th, 2010: I just realized that I think I did this misunderstanding the question. I thought we had to write about what we are doing in life as a whole that is important, but I read Jacara's post and some other people's posts and there's are different from mine..

Part A: Interviewing people. A while ago, I was telling my friend Alice about this assignment. I'll try and get some actual quotes soon, but some of the things that she told me is that she feels important because she is an actress. She is happy with the things that she does.

I cannot get in touch with my mom at the moment, but I think she feels important because she is the founder of a non-profit organization, Just Tell. She helps kids who are sexually abused in how to recover, or if it is still happening to them, she tries to help them to get help. In her words.. "I think my mission in life is to help kids. I relate well with kids and they trust me so I feel my nonprofit was my way to come up with a way that kids can get behind to help other kids :) Oh.. and being an awesome friend and mommy! ;) And to be a light in people's darkness... a positive force for good... and spread smiles! lol"

__________________________________________
Part B: My strategies of feeling important?

When we were asked in class to write about what we did to feel important in life, I looked around and saw that no one around me had a pen to their paper. We were all fidgeting, staring into space, or asleep. Even the kids who may have felt important outside of class felt unimportant inside class. That's what this "Cool unit" can do to you. I feel important, but when I was in class that day, thinking about my importance, I felt unimportant as well. I could not think of something to write down that seemed important at the time.

But outside of the class now, I am thinking about what makes me important? I am an artist, and I do many things that I am passionate about. I am a a poet, twice published already. I have taught myself how to sew when I was little, so I can fix things. I'm a painter (evidence in Andy's class among many other places). I can paint presents for family members and friends, as well as for school projects. I'm a sister, and a daughter, a niece, a grand daughter. I'm a friend, a best friend. I'm a good reader, a decent student, I'm part of a non-profit (Just Tell, which my mom is the founder of). I can knit (yeah, laugh, so what?) I'm making people scarfs for presents. Even these are reasons for being important, even though I guess in the end, these things may not actually matter.
__________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment